Batley's prosperity came from the process of breaking down and reweaving woollen cloth from waste rags. The raw material came from as far afield as Berlin and Rotterdam. Between 1850 and 1880, the population of the town tripled. As it grew, fears were expressed that the local dialect might die out, so in 1860 a glossary was published containing local words and phrases. The Zion Chapel (1869) on the far right seated 600, and the Sunday School catered for 1000 children.